So I've been wanting to post all week and haven't been able to find the right words. I've come to the conclusion that everything is still sinking in for me. I AM A MOM! Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.
Now that we have passed the revocation period (Alleluia!) I can finally let myself go. Until Monday at 5:00pm there was always a chance that this could fall through. Even though it felt like a very small chance, it was still there lurking it's ugly head. And as all infertile gals know, we are used to being disappointed. We are used to guarding our hearts and expecting bad news. I couldn't fully embrace this miracle until Monday.
That is not to say that I haven't been full of SO MUCH JOY these past 37 days. My husband and I have truly relished every second with this precious baby boy. We haven't stopped smiling and have loved spending our days and nights with this little guy. Have I felt like a mother this entire time? Yes and no. It's pretty difficult to "un-guard" your heart, especially when you know that you have a 30-day window when it could be taken away. I can't say that I truly felt like a mother overnight - and yet I hear that is pretty common, even for mothers who give birth.
I can't remember if I've mentioned this or not, but usually our agency does not allow direct placements from the hospital. Most couples don't get their child until the 30-day revocation period has passed. In our case the birthmother requested that we take the baby home from the hospital and we had also hoped we would get that chance. We were willing to take the risk. A lot happens in 30 days!
I will be forever grateful that we got to hold Tommy just 20 minutes after being born. We fed him his first bottle and were present for all the other "firsts" in his life. We took him home from the hospital at just 24 hours old and had the quintessential first night at home. (I was so nervous I didn't sleep a wink!) We have watched him grow and change in this short period of time. We have started bonding and attaching and have gotten used to being a family of three.
This time has been absolute HEAVEN. It's what we waited, hoped and prayed for. And yet I'm still waiting for the moment when it will really sink in and hit me. Over the years I have felt such deep pain, sorrow, frustration and spiritual desolation... I guess I have been expecting the same magnitude of joy and consolation to overwhelm me. I expected that I would much more emotional and I haven't.
I've realized that I need to cut myself a little slack. Being an adoptive, infertile mom after five years of marriage and trying to conceive is complicated. I know that other bloggers have written about this in the past and I remember thinking, "What are you talking about? You're a mom! That's all that matters!"
On one hand there is nothing complicated about it - we have a baby in our house and we are his parents! But on the other hand I think it's going to take my head, heart and emotions a little bit of time to catch-up with the whirlwind that has taken place over the past month and a half.
Our world was rocked - in the best possible way - and in the way we had hoped it would be! But it has still been rocked, and I'm trying to figure out this new identity of mine. Like it or not, being an infertile woman trying to become a mother has ruled my identity. In a way I'm trying to figure out my new self, now that I have "crossed over."
Can you tell I'm still processing all of this? Don't get me wrong - it hasn't been difficult jumping into the practical aspects of being a mother. I always new that it would come easy to me and I LOVE LOVE LOVE every little part of my day taking care of Tommy. Of course it helps that he is the world's best baby! Seriously, everyone is amazed when they meet him how sweet, relaxed, and calm he is. This baby doesn't cry! He just sweetly smacks his lips when he's hungry. :)
We couldn't be any more thrilled with this miracle that has dropped into our laps. I guess now is the first time that I can take a (small) step back and examine all that has happened. I don't want to forget so many of the amazing moments that we have experienced. In addition to being overwhelemed by this precious baby, I have been overwhelmed by the love that has been showered on us by everyone in our lives.
I know that most new parents experience this, but for us it has all happened so quickly. We have been flooded with love, prayers, support, prayers, encouragement, prayers, gifts, meals, visitors, and more prayers! I love that so many people have shared this journey with us. Our little Tommy has touched so many people's lives. I love that God is using our story to touch hearts. After all, isn't that our purpose in life? To be vessels for the Lord to move in this world?
Thank you for all your love, support, and prayers along the way. At this point I can't keep track of who is reading my blog - a lot of "in real life" family and friends have started reading to stay connected to our story. Thank you for journeying with us!
Love the new lay out, love this post! And you can guarantee I won't ever stop reading. ;)
ReplyDeleteDon't Beat yourself up! You have been on an emotional rollercoaster of excitement, nervousness, unsure, fear, joy, the whole gamut. I know you are loving every moment with tommy and I hope you are knocked over like a tidal wave very soon with immense joy. (i do think negative emotions are more intensely felt and you are just new to these joyfilled moments!)
ReplyDeleteWhat is it about adopted babies that makes them "the best babies in the world?"
ReplyDeleteSeriously, our daughter *could not have been a better baby.*
(Not that all babies aren't awesome.)
She never cried, she slept like a champ, she was wonderful and well-behaved from Day 1. She was a totally easy baby.
Our son, on the other hand...
;)
I'm still here and in tears reading this. How beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love your new header- it turned out fabulous! And what a beautiful post, G! It has been so wonderful following along your journey. I am still in awe of God's plan- your pilgrimage to Lourdes and then the arrival of little T right after...truly amazing! :)
ReplyDeleteI check over here every day because I can't wait to hear how things are going for you!
ReplyDeleteMy eyes filled with tears as I read this because I know all those feelings SO well. I think having L here those first few days of her life were the sweetest days of MY life thus far.
And she still makes me smile every time I look at her.
I think adoption is one of the most awesome experiences any woman can be a part of, and especially an infertile woman who has longed for a baby for so long ...
I am still rejoicing over here for you on the 30 day window expiring. Tommy was meant to be yours all along.
This is a great post. I'm so happy for you, G! It seems surreal to me that you have a son, so I can only imagine how you must feel. But it just warms my heart to read this post. God is so faithful.
ReplyDeleteEverything you said is so true. I didn't have the time to experience the "looking back" infertile mom stuff but I do remember those sweet first days and they are simply the best thing EVER. I'm so glad your "window" has closed and he is yours forever! Love the new blog look and pictures and I can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. I can't even imagine all that has been running through your head and heart this past month!
ReplyDeleteYou definitely need to cut yourself some slack! A pregnant woman has nine long months to get used to the idea of being a mom and even then, it still takes time to sink in. If I remember correctly you didn't get the call that long before Tommy was born so you had a significantly shorter time to prepare yourself psychologically. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
BTW: I sent you the email invite so let me know if you don't get it.
ReplyDeleteUm, my only complaint about this post are that there are no pictures!! :-)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Charlotte--this is still all really new for you! I can tell you are doing a great job, and I'm so glad the 30-day window has passed! I think it will start to sink in more now that you don't have that hanging over your head. Congrats again on becoming a family of three! I am overjoyed for you!
When I read the post title, I was convinced I had missed one yesterday in which you announced you were pregnant :).
ReplyDeleteBut, seriously, the topic makes much more sense than that. And what you say makes so much sense. You didn't have nine months to get used to the idea that there would be a non-theoretical baby living in your house. And IF has formed so much of my identity too - it makes perfect sense that integrating infertility AND motherhood into your personality coherently would take some adjustment and pondering! But I know you'll figure it out, and in a way that is enlightening to all of us.
I love the new header! Keep up the great mommy-ing!
ReplyDeleteIt has been a true pleasure watching you become a mother! I can't wait to watch this sweet, blessed boy grow up. And I can't help but send out prayers for the amazing birth mother who gave you this incredible gift. Blessings have abounded all the way around!
ReplyDeleteHow I can relate to this post! I remember all those feelings with my first adoption. For the second and (newly) adopted third baby, I immediately felt like their mother. I suspect the same will happen to you. For Tommy, he is your first and it is a huge and sudden change - but it will sink in sooner than the blink of an eye! I'm so thrilled you're enjoying all these beautiful moments! Cherish them. I couldn't be happier for you.
ReplyDeleteYour feelings are so understandable. You've had a huge change in your life, and it was only a couple days ago that you were able to put away the fear of the BM changing her mind. I'm so glad T is such wonderful baby.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! I'm so happy for your family. :)
ReplyDeleteYou know what? I kind of had these same feelings when I had Madeleine after almost 5 years of IF. I mean, I knew she was here to stay, but it took me a while to really feel like a MOM, know what I mean?
ReplyDeleteI love the new blog, the pictures are beautiful and as I read through the comments, I just want to add a big ol' "I second that" to them. They say it much more eloquently than me, but just know that we are filled with joy as well as we are so very privileged to be able to see you walk this journey of motherhood and love. (Well, we can see as much as you put out in cyberspace, and yes...add more pictures!) I won't stop reading, this story is AMAZING and I can't wait to see what God has in store next.
ReplyDeleteSo wonderful that you could be with Tommy from Day #1. Time will help you work out your identity. Now you're doing just what you need to do - being the best mom to Tommy as you possibly can!
ReplyDeleteHe's just beautiful! Congratulations MAMA!
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how touched I am to be apart of this journey. I have been a mom for 9 months and there are still many times throughout the day that I look at my son and say, "You're mine?!" I also am so grateful to read your perspective as an adoptive mother as I struggle to understand my sisters in their adoption journeys. Thank you for being so open and honest and know you will always have my prayers! :)
ReplyDelete