It is officially the end of summer. This is my last week working at summer camp and I have to be at school on Monday for our week of teacher meetings. I have to admit, I'm ready for school to start! A friend told me that is a sign that you are meant to be a teacher - if you get excited for school to start each year.
I sorta fell into teaching... it's not as if I knew my whole life that's what I wanted to be. But I do think it's the right job for me. I love teaching and I actually enjoy what I do. I know not everyone can say that, so I am grateful to God for this gift.
I am such a nerd. I get SO EXCITED about new school supplies and everything that comes along with a new school year. It's great to have a fresh start every year - new students, new goals, new ideas. This week I went to the teacher store and got my new planner. I went home and filled in all the dates for the entire school year! I actually look forward to doing that every year. :)
Of course I have to admit that while I was filling in dates for 2010 my mind couldn't help but wonder, "Will I be pregnant by then? Surely something must be different in our situation by then, right?" But the sad reality is that I don't know that for sure. I have had these same thoughts every year when the new school year starts. "Will this be my last year?" When we got married, the "plan" was for me to teach for one year, then get pregnant and quit my job. Now I'm starting my 5th year teaching. Wow, sometimes I still can't believe how much time has gone by.
Anyways, all that being said, I am still looking forward to the new school year. I am very ready to be done with my camp job (the heat and humidity finally arrived in August and it's been brutal outside.) I do much better with a schedule and a routine. In addition to setting new goals for my teaching, I end up setting new personal goals too during this time of the year. I'm hoping to get back into a better routine spiritually, physically and mentally. I'm also trying to get my life and my house better organized!
All in all I've had a great summer and I pray for God's blessing on this new school year.
your post title made me shiver! i don't have to go in "officially" until sept 2nd, although i'm going in next thursday and friday to start setting up.
ReplyDeletei'm sure that if i wasn't recovering from major surgery that i would be just as excited. i went to the dollar store yesterday to look for stuff for my classroom -- my first big outing without mr. jb and i go looking for school stuff!
i also "fell into" teaching. i resisted for years, but now i can't imagine doing anything else. i can't wait to meet my new class.
when do you actually start? we're back on the 8th.
Well...I'm in grad school to become a teacher..(earl.y child.hood) and I kind of fell into teaching and believe God led me to this profession. I started out as a volunteer in a classroom, then an aide and now sub. Next step is teacher. .
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I look forward to the new year too even though this year I'm still a sub. The first few weeks are quiet...but then the calls come. I start back to my own classes next week too...so I will be busy with that. Actually, it has worked out really nice being a sub and going to school. And yes...I always wonder if this year will be different and I make goals...like to work on not procrastinating! I'm so bad about leaving things to the last minute and most of the time...it bites me. Blessings.
Awww, I miss school!! But I don't miss being a freaking aide.
ReplyDeleteI do miss the little ones, though... those first few weeks are the BEST!
We start in a week. I spent the last two days getting my classroom ready - still more to do on Monday, but it's too hot right now to do more. I melted in there! I fell into teaching, too. Weird!! (Though I'm never quite ready to go back -- I think if we started in September, I'd feel more ready. August still feels like summer to me. But once we get going I'm glad to be back.) Since I have to work, teaching is the only job I want to do. Good luck with your new year and students!!
ReplyDeleteI so agree. I, too, am anxious for the school year to begin. Summer is fun, but I look forward to the routine of school.
ReplyDeleteLove you
This humidity has been crazy this week, hasn't it? I can't imagine being outside all week in this soup.
ReplyDeletePrayers for blessings of all kinds to be showered on your this coming year. :)
i love the start of school... i'm such a nerd!
ReplyDeleteeven though i have no reason at all to be in the school supply aisle i always feel called to it... and i love the smell of binders. i can only imagine video of me at various targets that the employees watch for fun of the random girl smelling binders.
I also get really excited about new school supplies and I'm not even a teacher.
ReplyDeleteFunny how the "plan" is never the way it works out in any situation, at least not for me.
ooooh! I like the new blog look! i can't believe school is starting so soon!
ReplyDeletei'm sure your students just love you and the energy you MUST bring to teaching.
Thought of you a lot this week.
Be well!!!
School here in TN has been in full swing for almost three weeks now. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteLove the title of your blog. Jer. 29:11-12 is one of my favorites!