Friday, February 6, 2009

Feeling Bleh

Unfortunately I have been sick this week. Ugh. It's nothing more than a nasty cold and to be honest, it's more annoying than anything. I seriously feel like I'm too busy to be sick! Everything takes longer and I haven't had my usual energy. Plus I've had that raspy, sick voice for a couple of days and it's really hard to teach like that. Not to mention it's pretty much impossible to sing.

I felt the worst on Thursday and I couldn't stay home because we had Mass at school that morning. About half of my student choir was also sick so we were really struggling. All week I've been staying late after school to have auditions for our spring musical. Let's just say it's been a long week and I'm so glad the weekend is here.

I chose"Willy Wonka" for our show this year and I'm REALLY excited about it! It's going to take a lot of work and there is a ton of singing involved. Hopefully our students can handle it. Casting is one of the hardest parts, so I will feel good once that is finished. The past couple of years we have done shows that are not well-known. Part of the challenge with doing a known show is that the audience has certain expectations. It's always harder to live up to expectations than to surprise people with something new. Thankfully we are starting about a month earlier than last year. Hopefully that will help us get it all done. I teach at a small school and our students are SUPER busy. The show has to compete with everything else the kids are trying to balance - academics, sports, student council, music lessons, extra-curricular activities, etc. Somehow it all comes together in the end, but it pretty much consumes my life while we're rehearsing!

Nothing too much else to report. I'm looking forward to taking the Prometrium this cycle. I am hopeful that I will see a change and I'm praying for a longer cycle. My prayer is that this is the last "problem" to be fixed. Only time will tell...

5 comments:

  1. I love musicals! I was in "Into the Woods" in high school and it was one of my most favorite memories from that time in my life. You are building lifetime memories for those kiddos! I have been sick this week, too. It stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon! And I hope it works out for you to go to the conference with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that as teachers that we should get danger pay when we get sick!!

    i hope you feel better, get lots of rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find time to rest and get better this weekend. I don't know how teachers find time to get everything they need to get done in a school day and find time and energy to do extracurricular activities like directing a play!! As a future teacher...I give things like that a lot of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to hear you've been sick. Feel better!

    I remember my musicals in high school...they were so much work but it was so fun! And somehow, the show always came together in the last two weeks. It's amazing, but exhausting. Have fun and remember to take care of yourself too! :)

    ReplyDelete