Thursday, February 26, 2009

A few things

Thanks for all your words of love and encouragement! You guys are the best. I think I'm dealing better today. Sometimes it's hard for me to be honest when I'm feeling down. In a strange way I feel as if it's my fault for being sad. As if I'm not trying hard enough to "handle" everything well. Does that make sense? This whole mess of emotions is so complicated!

I made an appointment with my doctor for next week. (The plan was to call her when/if I started my new cycle.) I guess we will discuss my bloodwork - which was better this cycle - and discuss where we go from here. I'm sure the first thing she will say is to just keep trying what we're doing now - the Tamoxifen and Prometrium seem to be working and my hormones levels seemed great on P+7. Obviously we have to give it a little time to work. As my hubby keeps reminding me, this was only my second full cycle after surgery and my first cycle on Prometrium. But my heart is already thinking, "Oh no, there must be another problem. This isn't working. What should we do now???"

I'm trying to make a list of questions I have for her. I guess I will inquire about the blood clotting disorder that Sew mentioned. Why not? I'm happy to get tested for EVERYTHING. Also, I have never had any sonograms done before and/or during ovulation. I wonder if that would be beneficial. What would my doctor be looking for if we did that? Any thoughts?

Here is what really confuses me... I have never had a problem ovulating and now that my endo is removed, it seems like my problem is all hormones. But I don't understand what EXACTLY is going wrong each cycle. Which part of this whole process isn't working? Are my follicles/eggs not fully developed? Or are they unable to be fertilized because of my hormones? Or are we conceiving and for some reason it's not able to be sustained? It's so frustrating because I know my doctor doesn't have the answers either. Even the medical professionals are in the dark about many aspects of infertility. Just one more thing for us to surrender.

I truly am glad that Lent is here. I am the kind of person that needs structure and goal-setting. Forty days always seems like a managable amount of time to work on something. I have chosen a few things to give up and a few things to add into my prayer life. I look forward to making these changes in my life! I know that whatever small things I do will bring some extra grace - and I could totally use it right now.

On a different note, are you familiar with Peter Kreeft? He is a Catholic apologist and professor at Boston College. He has written TONS of books on apologetics and he is a great speaker. A friend recently told us about downloading his talks online and my hubby and I have been listening to them. He's super smart, so his talks are more like academic lectures. But I highly recommend them if you're into that kind of thing. Just follow this link to download his talks.

2 comments:

  1. When I was dealing with infertility...the nurse was very comforting and said this would be one of the hardest things in life to deal with. It is true! So don't beat yourself up for being human. This is a roller coaster no one wants to get on! Sometimes you just have to wallow a little and give yourself a break...letting the every day difficulty of it wash over you to try and continue taking one step at a time. I have kept up with your blog and am amazed and inspired by your faith. I wish I had a fraction of it. By the way, I read Left to Tell, too...my book club did. How wonderful that you got to meet her! I continue to send my prayers and thoughts of support!
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. part of me is worried that during the lap the doctor is going to find out more things that are wrong with me. i know that is just crazy since my napro doctor has treated me for everything else and aside from my endo i'm ready to make a baby -- so i think.

    if there is something else your doctor will treat it, right? i have to keep reminding myself that as well. we have to take things day by day.

    you're right 40 days is the perfect amount of time to work on things. i have to switch my thinking from what i'm missing to what i have then i'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete