Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hormone Update

I got the results of my bloodwork at my doctor's appointment this afternoon. Turns out that my estrogen levels were good (I forget the number) and my progesterone levels were not good (8.2.) Dr. L wants to keep me on Tamoxifen - she thinks it did help my estrogen levels. She gave me a prescription for a progesterone supplement that I will take starting on Peak +2 and continue for 12 days. I think it's called Prometrium. Is anyone else on this? Hopefully this will do the trick! She says that I am definitely ovulating and my eggs possibly could be fertilizing, but the low progesterone won't allow me sustain anything.

As always, it's frustrating to not understand the reason behind all these hormone issues. I asked Dr. L if it was related to my endo or if it was a separate problem. She is convinced it's all related, but they just don't know how. I will keep you posted on the results of the new drug.

5 comments:

  1. I took Prometrium pills recently . They did make me tired, I had some dizziness, cramping and I did get sick on them. I know other people had very few or any side effects. My body is sensitive. Good Luck with them. I hope you don't have the side effects I had. Let me know how it goes for you.
    I am going to be starting progesterone suppositories which I the dr said they shouldn't bother my stomach since they are not going to be absorbed through the stomach. He is going to check my P+7 levels to see if the suppisitories are actually effective for me. Praise God your estrogen is good...mine was too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, there were a bunch of us on Prometrium last cycle, in fact. I've taken it a few times, now, each for different reasons (2 xs to bring on an AF when I was anovulatory, 1 x to delay AF for my surgery, and 1 x to up my progesterone in case of pg). It definately makes you LOOPY so make sure you take it right before bed, then you'll sleep through the loopiness.
    Glad you got some answers! Hopefully this means a bfp is not far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it fascinating that doctors in the same practice could have such different takes on the same exact progesterone level! Mine was 8.2 on peak +7 and Dr. B called it "excellent"!! What is with that?? Your blood draw was on peak +7, right?

    Now I'm thinking I need prometrium too. I might call and ask about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I responded well to progesterone (but I also had an estrodial issue). I hope this does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I have low progesterone! Still working on getting tested with my Dr. I don't think he works as fast as everyone else's! :)

    But at least you have news and results!

    I swear I think it is all related too! I didn't have signs of low progesterone (spotting) before endo was removed. After it was removed I spot & bleed for 12+ days a month! Go figure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete