Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sonogram and Mixed Feelings

Thankfully I was able to get the sonogram done yesterday, although I was left with mixed feelings about it all.

I was so sure that I would get my LH surge sometime during the long weekend and miss out on having this appointment, but it never came! I couldn't believe it - I wasn't sure if my cycle was actually different this time because of my medication changes, or if I had just missed it. Yesterday morning I tested one last time and still didn't see the double line indicating the LH surge. I called my doctor's office and she said to come in anyway. Since it was day 14 she thought it would be a good time to check me out.

It was a bit of a chaotic morning - any time you're coming back from a long weekend the students (and teachers!) don't quite hit the ground running. So that makes it extra tough to start with Mass. We had our First Communion celebration Mass for all the second grade students. Thankfully it was really lovely - it's so cute to see all the kids in their white dresses and little suits. We finished around 10:15, so I rushed back to my room to check my voicemail and got the message to come in and jumped in my car. My appointment was at 11:00, but it was pouring out and I was worried about traffic. Thankfully I arrived in time, even though I had to sit and wait for quite awhile. A woman came in after me, said she had an 11:00 with my doctor and was rushed in before me. Has this ever happened to you? Sometimes I just don't understand how doctor's offices work. Anyways, I was just thankful to have my appointment.

The sonogram was done vaginally, which was more than unpleasant. Thankfully I was pretty distracted once she started because I was watching the screen as she maneuvered around. I was totally blown away by what she could see. If I am ever fortunate enough to be pregnant and have an ultra sound to see a baby, I will totally understand why people have such an emotional reaction. It truly is amazing what technology can do. Dr. L first examined my uterine lining and said it looked good - nice and thick. I was thinking to myself, "All I see is a bunch of black and white fuzz. How can you even tell what you're looking at??" But apparently she saw three separate layers which was what she was looking for.

Next she went on the search for my ovaries. Again, I was amazed that she could distinguish anything. She found both of them and both had follicles growing. She could tell by the size and by the fluid which one was ovulating this month. I didn't realize that both ovaries had follicles growing at various sizes. Even when I think I understand what's going on, I realize that the female reproductive system is even MORE complicated! She found three large follicles around the same size in one ovary and she said that one or more of them would be released soon.

Dr. L kept saying everything looks great and healthy and that I was on target to ovulate normally. So this is good, right? Except for the fact that I am still not getting pregnant. I can't tell you how many appointments I've had where everything looks good, normal or healthy. So what's the problem then? What isn't working? I basically asked Dr. L this question - I asked where do we go from here. She reminded me that the sonogram gives us information about ovuation and not conception. She said that things look good this month, so we just need to do our part and wait for nature to takes its course. I was a little irritated that she said this because obviously nature ISN'T taking its course. But I understand that she has a ton more patience than me. She doesn't mind waiting 6 months or a year to see how my body reacts. I, on the other hand, can't stand to wait one more day.

I chatted with LifeHopes on my way back to school from the appointment. It was so helpful to get her perspective, and of course her encouragement. :) She reminded me that part of the NaPro way is to be slow and patient, waiting for the body to naturally respond. I really struggle with this. Even though we're not going the artificial reproductive route, I do want to be aggresive and try everything possible. I'm trying to balance both prayer and action - doing our part, but at the same time surrendering to God's plans for us.

I am curious to get my bloodwork done this cycle and see what's going on. I'm off Prometrium and I'm taking a higher dosage of Tamoxifen this cycle. I am curious what Dr. L thinks if my ovulation is picture perfect, but my hormones are still way off. Only time will tell.

On the adoption front we are trying to cover all our bases before we commit to an agency. Obviously there is a lot to consider. Each agency works differently, so we want to make sure we're making the right decision. Right now I'm trying to figure out the policy of each agency if (1) we get pregnant, (2) adopt with one agency while being listed with another or (3) find a birthmother on our own. It's important to consider these scenarios before we make a financial committment to them. The agency we're leaning towards requires 25% NONREFUNDABLE deposit to begin working with their domestic program. That is some serious money, so I want to be sure before we commit.

9 comments:

  1. I always felt exactly the same way about sonograms, in terms of "how are they seeing ANYTHING but fuzz??" - but now that I'm studying it, it is really fascinating how you can tell right away what a certain organ is, or what bone, bowel, shadowing, or fluid looks like sonographically.

    It isn't always that a woman will form follicles on both ovaries during 1 cycle- my right ovary is often "quiet," but I have had them both working simultaneously, too.

    I kinda wish your Dr was more proactive, too. If it had been my Dr, she would have said, "OK, everything looks great for ovulation, now come in on Fri or Sat so we can do a follow-up ultrasound to see if they actually ruptured, etc." Just because they're forming nicely does not mean you are ovulating nicely, kwim? NaPro is slow and patient, but some of the Drs are TOO patient, imo.

    I agree with you about the adoption committment. I know I've complained a lot about our SW, but our agency we LOVE! We have only paid about $500 thus far, with the majority of the $ to be paid upon placement, only. (And refunded with a failed placement.) I think at the Home Study we owe another $1,500 but that's it before placement.
    We are giving our SW one last chance, after we express our concerns to her at our next meeting (next week!), but if she's still being a wonk, we're going to ask to switch. And then I'm sure I'll REALLY love my agency :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't LH give the best pep talks! I always get off the phone with her refreshed and stable because she gives such a great perspective.

    Maybe you can call to see if you can get the rupture part of the ultra sound like TCIE. That makes total and perfect sense. I might try that too this cycle. That's a really good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW-I am totally jealous of that weekend! I really relish my walking. I never liked it ever before. :)

    It looks like you had a nice and relaxing time! Your smile is so infectious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe that ANYONE would ever feel encouraged after getting off the phone with me!!!!::):)

    B/C lately I am just so depressed about it all that I am sure it affects others negatively.

    As for your situation ... I am thinking the same thing TCIE is thinking. I think at this stage in the game it would be very informative to do an ultrasound series, to confirm ovulation.

    Could you ask about that?

    Then, if there is any question about whether it ruptured, you then have grounds to be on HCG trigger to ensure ovulation.

    Sidenote: So sorry I sounded so badly when you called yesterday. I was not feeling well AT ALL! When I saw it was you on the phone, I had to pick up since it's been so long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally felt the same way (about everything being normal at my appts) until my RE appt last week! Now I know my progesterone is low, and we have a plan of attack! I hope that they can find some possible cause for you...I know how gut wrenching it feels to have no direction...

    Also I will pray for you regarding agency selection. I know that is something that will require alot of prayerful seeking on our part if we end up adopting in the future! 25% down does seem like alot up front...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that everything looks great, but it can be frustrating that there is nothing to "fix" and no answers. I like TCIE's suggestion of calling to do a follow-up to see if they did actually rupture, though. She's so wise :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way so many times Ive been told things look good but of course nothing happens I just dont understand nature sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand your sentiments exactly. I wish so much sometimes there were something definitely wrong so we could work on fixing it.

    Regarding the adoption stuff...you have my prayers in your discernment. I should tell you though that almost every agency we ever interviewed has policies against being on more than one 'wait list'. Asking about their pregnancy policy is very wise too. Most agencies have this thing about 'artificial twinning' policy--adding one or more children closer than 9mos in age by adoption or birth. So be sure to pick the one that feels right and offers the most flexibility should God decide to be extra generous with you. :)

    When we were in the process of adoption son #1, we were presented with an amazing opportunity to adopt domestically from another state. We naively thought we could do both, but we were told that we'd lose the referral of our son if we pursued the second opportunity. It broke my heart to have to decline what could have been a wonderful opportunity. The boys would have been 4mos apart in age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that you need another opinion saying the same thing, but I agree that you should try to get an u/s series next cycle to see the follicles developing and then actually making sure one ruptured. I finally pinned my dr. down at our last appointment to set a month where we will do a u/s series if I don't get pregnant in the meantime. Since I am an out of town patient, he wanted to wait for a while after my surgery to see if things happened naturally.

    As far as waiting room times, since they have a lot of dr's in that practice, maybe it depends on whether your doc is actually running on time that day.

    Good luck with the adoption discernment. It seems so daunting to me. There are so many options that it is hard to know where to start.

    ReplyDelete