I had my doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon and mostly I left feeling discouraged and disheartened. It's hard not to when Dr. L says to me that she doesn't know what's causing my ovulation dysfunction and she doesn't know how to treat it. GREAT. So now what? We talked through a variety of options and treatment ideas - mostly brought up by me! I never dreamed that I would be leading my own treatment plan, but as I was telling AYWH yesterday, it's thanks to all my blog friends that I know so much. :)
We started by going over the results of my bloodwork from last month. My progesterone levels are great, but almost too high, if you can believe that. Obviously this is because I'm taking Prometrium. Believe it or not, my progesterone level was 19 the day before I started my new cycle. Apparently the big problem is my estradiol. Those levels start out good, but significantly drop during my luteal phase. It was 202 on peak +6 and only 67 on peak +10, which is why my new cycle began the very next day. This is the part of the conversation when Dr. L said she didn't know what was causing the estrogen to drop and she doesn't know how to "fix" it. Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. She decided to take me off the Prometrium and increase the dosage of Tamoxifen. The hope is that this will have some effect on my estrogen levels, but really we have no idea if it will do anything.
Next she asked me about my mucus. I told her that it seemed ok to me, but that I've definitely been having less since my surgery and since starting the Tamoxifen. She suggested that I take Mucinex (over the counter) and Keflex(?) which is an anti-biotic. I find that so random! But she thought it would help, so I'll give it a try.
Dr. L also inquired about my overall heath - diet, exercise, sleep, stress, etc. I understand that these factors are an important part of everyone's health, but I really think I'm past this by now in terms of IF. I'm sure she's just doing her job and covering all her bases, in case something had drastically changed in my life. She kept asking me what my husband and I do to relax, our hobbies, etc. I'm just so tired of people telling me to relax. Ya know? She did suggest taking an omega-3 supplement (flax seed oil or fish oil) for overall good health. I will have to give my fish oil pills a try again. Last time I started taking them it made me feel nauseous! Does anyone have a recommendation for this?
I asked Dr. L what she thought about getting an ultrasound done around my ovulation time and she loved the idea! Next month I will have this done and I hope she sees something that gives us a clue what's going on. I'm not sure what she's looking for, but any information would be great. She also informed me that she would be open to HCG shots, but not yet. Given that I'm only 5 cycles post-surgery, she wants to give these other treatments some time.
Overall it feels good to just meet with her and discuss how things are going, but I can't help feel discouraged. I leave appointments like this thinking that we don't have a chance conceiving. I know that all things are possible with God, but I'm just tired of waiting and hoping and being disappointed. It's so disheartening to realize that we don't know what's going on in my body or how to fix it.
On a different note, my hubby and I saw "Ragtime" last night at the Kennedy Center. After my appointment, I picked him up from work and we went to dinner before the show. "Ragtime" is one of my absolute favorite musicals and the performance was so amazing. The Kennedy Center is a special place to us... we hung out there a lot when we were dating and my hubby proposed to me on the rooftop terrace. It has a gorgeous view of DC, the monuments and the Potomac River. We hadn't been in awhile, so it was fun to be there.
I've got to be honest, I'm not looking forward to Mother's Day this weekend. I'm cantoring for the 10:00 and 11:30 Masses, which are usually overflowing with babies and pregnant women. I hope that I can just grin and bear it and head home.
Bummer! And that seems odd to me about the drop in estrogen causing your period--I've never heard of that. I did take amoxicillin as a mucus enhancer, and it was definitely better than mucinex and b6 for me, so I hope the antibiotic helps!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I love Ragtime! It's the only musical I've ever seen on Broadway (I was there on a business trip and some friends had an extra ticket). I'll be praying for you this weekend, too!
That is so awesome your hubby proposed at the Kennedy Center!!! My hub and I went there a few times when we lived in DC and that terrace is beautious!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that your doctor doesn't know what is going on...that must be so frustrating. Hopefully, your new treatments will help in someway. You'll be in my prayers this weekend.
Some thoughts about the estrodial...I have the same problem. Not much has brought up my numbers, HcG, oral estrogen post peak, even the antibiotics regimen. Now I am hoping the metformin helps me. One of the NaPro docs in my practice used vaginal estrodial for a woman with IF (her uterine lining was not getting think enough bc of low estrodial) and she concieved. Have you thought about getting another opinion? I am not sure this doc is really helping you out, probably causing more stress. If you want to email me, I can give you more feedback if you want. :)
ReplyDeleteI will say extra prayers for you this weekend. I wish your doctor would have been able to give you some better insight. I would love to hear you sing. I bet you have such a beautiful voice! Sing to God on Sunday. He will give you all the strength you need!
ReplyDeleteJust a thought about the mucus....a nurse at work told me that the ingredient in claritin d can dry up mucus. I'm not sure if allergies affect you this time of year, but I have them bad. Anyway, that is my only thought on the mucus issue.
ReplyDeleteWow. Singing at Mother's Day Mass... that takes strength! I will remember to pray for you on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry the appt was a little discouraging. It sounds like you definately were self-advocating, though, which is terrific. Even with the best Drs, I find it's always good to ask a lot of questions and "suggest" things- after all, as good as the Drs are, no one knows YOUR body better than you.
I hope that the increased Tamox. does the trick. Oh, and certain antibiotics are really wonderful for mucus enhancement. My Dr usually Rxs Amoxicillin, but she has also used Biaxin. Keflex(?) is probably similar to those. I'm sure this with the Mucinex will do the trick for your cm.
i'm so sorry that you didn't get more answers from your doctor. i totally agree with you that my friends in the blog world have helped me so much (it was a blog friend that told me about napro!).
ReplyDeletei'm sending you many prayers for sunday. mother's day is difficult enough, but having to cantor proves that you have some special strength! wow!
I agree w/ TCIE- I can't even imagine cantoring at Mother's Day mass! WOW.
ReplyDeleteIt is a bummer that your doctor seems fairly clueless about your treatment, but at least she is willing to listen to your suggestions and even pursue what you'd like to try!
Thank you ladies for all your helpful comments! Seriously, I don't know what I would do without you all.
ReplyDeleteI hope I'm not making my doctor sound like an idiot. I actually feel like I'm getting good medical care... I just don't think any doctor knows what to do at this point. She is NaPro trained, so I feel good about working with her. It's just so frustrating to realize that IF and the female reproductive system are such a mystery.
Sorry to hear that your appointment was not what you had hoped, but it is great that she is willing to work with you on your suggestions. I used to go to the same practice, and had a similar experience of them not really knowing what to recommend as far as hormones. We eventually decided to move on. From what I had heard, it's been a while since Dr. L. has worked with Dr. H. One thing I have realized from my experience working with 4 different doctors is that none of them is "the one" who has all the answers. So researching and advocating for yourself is so important - sounds like you are doing that!
ReplyDeleteI started on B6, Mucinex, and antibiotics two months ago. The first month I didn't see much of a change, but the second month was much better. Hope it is the same for you!
Also, I am reading a book right now about Endo and diet and it is making me realize how important a good diet is to having healthy cycles and conceptions. Some of their stats are pretty amazing, so I am renewing my efforts to eat a well-balanced diet.