Saturday, November 21, 2009

Amazing Morning

The talk this morning with Dr. B and Dr. L was wonderful!

We had advertised this event in all the parishes of the archdiocese. My intention was to reach infertile couples, so I was surprised at the number of other people who attended the talk as well. It turned out to be a great group with a variety of perspectives on this issue.

There were twenty-four of us in total - women from the DC support group, husbands, friends, two priests, a Creighton practitioner, another physician (who is trained in the Creighton model,) and pro-life Catholics who were just interested in the topic.

Dr. B started by having everyone introduce themselves and briefly explain their infertility history. He had prepared a nice powerpoint presentation, but unfortunately he had to rush through most of it. We started a bit late and it took awhile to go around the room. I think it was good to start that way, but unfortunately it cut into the main presentation time. (And he had to leave at 11:15.)

Dr. B briefly introduced himself and his practice, talked about the culture of OB-Gyn medicine in our world today and why Catholics need to do a better job of promoting our beliefs - especially in the medical field. He talked about the main causes of infertility and options for treatment. He really tried to gear his talk to the needs of the infertile couples present, so he left plenty of time for questions and answers. He recognized the great need for support and truly seemed happy to be with us.

Dr. L chimed in once in awhile, answered some questions and gave her perspective. I'm not exactly sure why Dr. B invited her to come. He mentioned that they don't usually do speaking engagements together, so maybe he is trying to do more of that. Before the talk began she told me that her flight from Chicago was delayed and she didn't get home until 2:00am this morning! It was so kind of her to join us.

After Dr. B and Dr. L left I put in a plug for our support group. We ended up having a nice discussion about the need for support and good treatment. The priests asked us how they could be more pastoral to couples going through infertility. I only wish EVERY priest were there to hear our responses! It was a beautiful conversation. We got off on a bit of a tangent talking about IVF towards the end, but we closed with a lovely prayer in which people shared their intentions.

At one point during our conversation we were talking about infertility as a kind of grief and mourning. One woman (not infertile) said something about how we shouldn't mourn anything yet because our chances are so good for conceiving. My friend M responded with a heartfelt perspective on how difficult this road has already been for us - no matter if or when we conceive. She was crying while she spoke and the rest of us infertile women had tears in our eyes too. It was such a poignant moment in which our suffering and grief was tangible. Everyone was quiet for a moment and we were united in our silent tears. Even though we barely know each other, we are deeply connected through our common experience.

I was so overwhelmed by the whole morning. I was pleased that it came together, I was saddened to think about all the other couples struggling to conceive, I was frustrated to think about the poor medical care that so many couples are receiving and yet I was excited about the community that we are forming. I was emotional to say the least.

I hope and pray that our group can get together again soon!

11 comments:

  1. So glad it turned out well! I so wanted to come but just couldn't make it work. I hope the support group really takes off too! If only such a thing had been around 10 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a great event. I am so impressed that others came who weren't dealing with IF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful ministry you've undertaken! It sounds like that everything came together so well and that you reached out to so many.

    I wish that I was brave enough to undertake the same thing. You're so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sounds wonderful! I could just picture the part you described where you started tearing up. I started tearing up reading it! Wow. There really is an unspoken bond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it turned out well. That's awesome that priest and non-IF came.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, what a ministry. I wish we had something like that here. I don't know if I am just super emotional right now, or what, but I had my own tears in my eyes reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful! 24, holy smokes! It sounds like such an enlightening day, esp. for those NOT going through IF, to see what it is really like.

    We had a whopping 5. (And 5 for Dr Jean's presentation, too, including her mother and my MIL.) What is with NJ?? I think up here even the Catholics are so liberal that everyone is just off doing IVF :( We have IVF clinics in just about every town, it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great that this talk was organized. I think it would be great to have something like that out my way but unfortunately...I don't have a lot of respect for the Dr. Napro in my area. Hmmm....I know my creighton pract said there were women interested in a group...and she said someone was organizing something...I guess we'll just see if it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This sounds really amazing!

    I am tearing up just reading about it!

    I often get emotional thinking of all of you girls out there carrying this cross of IF. Its like I can see us all under the cross together, like a visual. It always breaks my heart but it is also strikingly beautiful.

    I'm thrilled to hear it all went so well. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had been able to make it! Sounds like it went really well. I'm glad you had such a good turnout :).
    I always find it amazing when people tell me there isn't anything to be sad about when they've never suffered through infertility themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to have such a large group! Even more wonderful that you arranged it.

    ReplyDelete