Tuesday, November 17, 2009

St. Elizabeth of Hungary

After following Sew's recommendation of this blog, I was given St. Elizabeth of Hungary as my patron saint for 2010. Today is her feast day, so I looked up a bit of information about her.

She was born in 1207 and was the daughter of the King of Hungary. She married young and had three children. Unfortunately her husband died after six years of marriage and his family kicked her out of the castle. They didn't like her because she was always giving money to the poor.

She is known for not complaining about her sufferings; she accepted the sorrows just as she had accepted joys from God. I am hoping that she will help me do the same by praying to her!

She died young - at the age of 24 - and she is the patron saint of bakers. (And I love to bake!)

I found this little reflection about her:
Elizabeth understood well the lesson Jesus taught when he washed his disciples' feet at the Last Supper: The Christian must be one who serves the humblest needs of others, even if one serves from an exalted position. Of royal blood, Elizabeth could have lorded it over her subjects. Yet she served them with such a loving heart that her brief life won for her a special place in the hearts of many.
Elizabeth is also an example to us in her following the guidance of a spiritual director. Growth in the spiritual life is a difficult process. We can play games very easily if we don't have someone to challenge us or to share experiences so as to help us avoid pitfalls.


St. Elizabeth, pray for me.

In other news, I've been emailing with Dr. B today to confirm all the plans for Saturday. It turns out that he's bringing Dr. L with him too! I really hope that we get a good turnout. In his email to me today he said, "You rock, and you are a vehicle for healing." Ha ha... I had to laugh at that!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love learning about all of our patron Saints! (One of my favorite books as a kid was about the lives of the Saints :) )

    I think she can be a powerful intercessor for you. She sounds like a really special person.

    I hope you get a good turnout, too! I, on the other hand, have had NO rsvps for our meeting :( But I'm still really looking forward to it, even if it's just me. (In fact, I may enjoy it more, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. G--St. Elizabeth has always been one of my favorite saints since childhood. I went to Mass today in honor of her feast day and I'll be sure to offer up some special prayers for you.

    BTW--I'm not sure I'll be coming to the IF talk on Saturday but I've been advertising it to anyone I know in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds great! She is also the great-aunt of St. Elizabeth of Portugal, who I was given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds great. I love how well everyone's saints fit them. I hope Saturday's meeting goes well. I wish I live closer so I could go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great patron saint to have and how fitting!!!

    I hope that your meeting goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete