Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Feeling Good

I had my last appointment with my doctor today before the surgery. It was pretty quick and basically I just had to fill out some paperwork. She gave me some more details about the day of surgery and I scheduled my post-op appointment for two weeks after the surgery. I'm feeling really good about it all and I'm so THANKful that it's all set for next week. Oh, and no bowel prep for me! Just fasting from food/water after midnight. :)

Now that I have stopped stressing about the surgery date, I have started to think the possible results. It's only by God's grace that I haven't been consumed with obsessive thoughts this whole time! (Plus being super busy helps too.) Now I'm starting to think about all the "what ifs." What if they don't find any endo? What does that mean for us? What will we do next? What the HECK is wrong with me???? My ideal situation would be mild endo that is treatable - enough that has caused my infertility but mild enough to be "fixed." I really really hope this will be the case. But obviously I have no way of knowing. I just don't know what to think...

I'm not too nervous for the procedure itself. I know many of you have had this done - plus much more invasive surgery! But it is a little weird to think about being put to sleep and having someone inside my body. I've never had surgery before, never been in the hospital, never even broken a bone! So all of this is new to me. I'm not sure what to expect for recovery and how it will feel afterwards. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off from school. I figure I'll be feeling ok by Monday to go back.

After my appointment this morning I had lunch with a priest friend of ours, Msgr. P. It turned into me having lunch with three priests, which was pretty funny! Msgr. P works for the Archdiocese, so I met him at his office and the other priests ended up joining us. It was nice to catch up with Msgr - he was my spiritual director for a couple of years and he was one of the priests at our wedding. I have been so blessed with great spiritual leaders in my life. I don't take it for granted and I am so grateful for their gift of support and encouragement.

Sew Infertile - you will appreciate this - I went to the Shrine today and I thought of you! I had some time to kill between my doctor's appointment and lunch. My goal was to do a little shopping in the bookstore and do a little praying in the beautiful crypt chapel. Unfortunately I didn't end up getting much praying done! The bookstore/giftshop is so amazing there... they have the best religious gifts and I can't pull myself away from it all. I ended up with some nice Christmas gifts and some good stuff for my classroom. I had to settle for a quick prayer before I dashed off to lunch. :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything is all set up for your surgery!

    As you know, we just have no way of knowing what the outcome will be of our surgeries, so I just pray that you can have peace between now and then. I had a worst-case-scenario when I awoke from my surgery (well, not WORST case.. they didn't have to do a hysterectomy or tell me I have cancer, but worst case scenario of all the likely scenarios) when my husband gave me the news that I'd need a laparotomy. And guess what.. I got over it, moved on and I'm so far past it now. So you WILL get through it no matter what they find or tell you. God is right there with you! You're in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AYWH! As always I appreciate your words of support, encouragement and advice. During this time of thanksgiving I am thankful for YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post!!!???

    Oh I miss the Shrine so much! I have had so many blessings given at that church! I used to drive from Carroll County to D.C. every Sunday for a long time, I just enjoyed that place so much! I truly feel our Catholic faith is represented so well at the Shrine. There are people of all walks of life, it's so beautiful! And I love Mary! It's wonderful! :) I'm jealous!

    Glad you don't need to do a bowel prep. That to me might mean that they don't think you have endo in your bowel. I like AYWH had the worse case scenario, well for me anyway, and had a double bowel resection and two other places of my bowel worked on. Thought I would be out of work for a week and it ended up being 3. But you know what, even though I complained like a big baby on my blog, I would do it all over again! AYWH is right, you will get through it no matter what they find!

    Anyway, did you read the napro hand out. 70-80% of the woman that have a husband with normal sperm-have endo or adhesions! Those numbers are crazy! :)

    So lets take a looksey! :) Sew excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what I don't miss about D.C. and it is the ONLY thing I promise-THE TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete