We had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving yesterday! We had always planned on staying home this weekend since we're traveling to see both families in December/January.
My hubby works for a large non-profit in DC that helps the homeless. They have an annual Turkey Trot fundraiser on Thanksgiving so we decided to attend that yesterday morning. It was great to see such a huge turnout for the event and it was a nice way to start the day.
Since we were down on the Mall, we decided to check out the American History Museum. It had been closed for over two years for renovations and just re-opened last weekend. We figured we'd be the only ones at a museum on Thanksgiving Day but it actually was pretty crowded. There was a line out the door when we got there, but it moved quickly. We didn't stay too long, mostly we just wanted to see the changes they had made to the architecture inside. They had some interesting exhibits which we'll have to check out later.
One exhibit that caught my attention was all about the pill. Can you believe it? An entire exhibit was dedicated to the invention of the pill and how it has revolutionized women's health. Now I can't argue that it has done that, but it was so disappointing to see it glorified in this way. I can't help but think about how women are being lied to and deceived. I was so surprised and caught off guard, I didn't even read it all. One section I did find very interesting was about the first scientist to create synthetic progesterone. Apparently he was able to derive the right chemicals from the root of some tree. Crazy!
We were back home around noon and spent the rest of the day eating and relaxing! We've been watching the John Adams series (from HBO.) Has anyone seen this? It's really great and brings the history alive. We watched a little football, talked to our families on the phone and I got a jump start on the Christmas cards.
This morning I pulled out all the Christmas decorations and started working on the house. I get so excited to decorate, I just can't help it! As I mentioned previously, I am trying hard to keep the true spirit of Advent alive. But our time home during the holidays is so short and I want to enjoy the house being decorated for as long as I can. Pretty much everything is set-up. The last thing left is to hang the ornaments! Once it's all together I will post a few pictures. I wish I could have you all over to my house for some apple cidar! :)
It sounds like a great weekend. We've never visited DC, but it's on the list of places to visit. And your post inspired me to get out my Christmas decorations, too! I can't wait to decorate!
ReplyDeletei just realized that you live in MD...and probably near very a very good friend of mine... she grew up in Chevy Chase but is living in Rockville now. I fly in a few times a year to visit her...
ReplyDeletePraying for you!