Thursday, November 19, 2009

Five Years Ago Today...

Five years ago today... my dear sweet husband proposed to me! It seems like it was just yesterday. Where does the time go?

Although it wasn't a complete surprise, it was a romantic night that I will remember for the rest of my life! The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has always been a special place to us... we spent lots of time there while we were just "friends" and dating. Not only do we love theater, but the building itself is beautiful. It sits right on the Potomac River and the rooftop has this incredible view of downtown DC, the monuments, Georgetown and Arlington.

He took me to the rooftop, gave this incredibly romantic speech and then got down on one knee. (He claims that I made him stay down there forever - but I don't remember it that way!) I immediately said yes and of course I was crying. We had an amazing dinner at the fancy rooftop restaurant. It was perfect!

The reason it wasn't a surprise is mostly due to logistics. I am very traditional and it was important to me that my husband talk to my parents before he proposed. Since they live in California, we had to schedule a trip out there. We spent a whirlwind weekend there - it began with him talking to my parents and ended with us scoping out reception sites. :) It all came together perfectly.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful partner in life. My husband is a man of character and virtue, he is faithful and kind, he is loving and sensitive, he provides for me and takes care of me, and I love being married to him. We enjoy each other's company no matter what we're doing. He always takes me on adventures and I look forward to spending the rest of our lives together! Thank you honey for being such a wonderful husband. Thank you God for bringing him to me.

10 comments:

  1. Wow congratulations! I guess we're coming up on our 8 year anniversary of Ken's proposal? It was Thanksgiving weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story - it's fun to celebrate milestones like this. Hope you're going out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet!

    The kennedy center is so beautiful! I saw a few musicals there....I love that place, it's so romantic!

    I celebrated New Years Eve there one year! So much fun!!

    You have a great husband, he sounds so wonderful! I'm so happy for you!! Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great milestone to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the proposal spot! :) T is so so thoughtful. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful proposal story!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! How wonderful, G! IT's such a blessing to have your example of a great marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, so sweet :). And that is such a beautiful spot to be proposed to!

    The 7th anniversary of DH's proposal was the 17th of this month, but I never remember that date for some reason. Probably because we got married only 8 days later :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Kennedy Center, too!

    What a sweet guy! You are very blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! My engagement anniversary is in November, too :)

    ReplyDelete