Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Assumption

Happy Feast of the Assumption! 

Tommy has been up super early lately and we all made it to 6:30am Mass this morning.  For the most part he is good in church and it was really sweet to be together as a family. 

I came across two great quotes this morning that I thought I would share:

"Precisely because Mary is with God and in God, she is very close to each one of us...Our Lady knows our hearts, can hear our prayers, can help us with her motherly kindness...We can always entrust the whole of our lives to this Mother."
-Pope Benedict XVI

This quote is from a letter by Blessed John Paul II and gives a good definition of the Assumption:
"The Second Vatican Council affirms that the Immaculate Virgin 'was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, when her earthly life was over' (Lumen gentium, n. 59).
The Council Fathers wished to stress that Mary, unlike Christians who die in God’s grace, was taken up into the glory of heaven with her body. This age-old old belief is expressed in a long iconographical tradition which shows Mary ‘entering’ heaven with her body.
The dogma of the Assumption affirms that Mary's body was glorified after her death. In fact, while for other human beings the resurrection of the body will take place at the end of the world, for Mary the glorification of her body was anticipated by a special privilege.”


I started packing this morning.  Ahh!  I'm trying to be prepared without over-packing.  I had hoped that I could use one suitcase for me, Tommy and the baby - but so far the baby stuff is taking up most of the space.  Hopefully all our stuff fits in our little car.  Hard to believe that we will leave as a family of three and return as a family for four! 

2 comments:

  1. :-) :-) :-) Love the soon-to-be-family-of-four comment!!! :-) I can't wait!
    The quotes are beautiful! I'm sharing them with my hubby who is always interested in learning more about the Church (he's not a Catholic).

    ReplyDelete