First let me say that it's hard for me to keep quiet about anything! I'm an extrovert and generally will share my life story with a stranger on the bus if they seem interested. :) Ha ha! Hence the reason that I reveal so much on this blog and the fact that I have shared this blog with many in-real-life friends/family.
That being said, I'm still nervous to share this news with everyone since there is so much uncertainty with adoption. I was not planning to post on Facebook until the baby is born, but I'm not sure I can hold out that long. :) I feel very good about this adoption going through, but still - it's not final until it's final.
(1) Did you request a girl?
No, our first agency wouldn't allow us to request gender. Even when we could with our second agency, we did not. We truly would be thrilled to have a boy or a girl. Either way it's a win: the joy of having brothers or the joy of having a girl.
(2) Do you get to name her?
I've honestly been surprised how many people ask this question! I haven't heard of any adoptions where you don't get to name the baby, but then again a lot of people don't understand the specifics of the adoption process.
So yes, we get to name her. I love that we've chosen a name that is full of so much meaning for us.
(3) Will you be there when she is born?
During my converstion with the birthmother I asked what her preferences were. She said that she would love for us to be in the hospital when she is born (not sure about being in the operating room.) She definitely wants to see the baby and have a little time with her, but she specifically said she doesn't want to spend two full days with her and that she wants us to have some bonding time with the baby right away.
We are so, so blessed that both of our birthmothers have been generous in this regard. I will forever treasure the memories of holding Tommy when he was just minutes old and feeding him his first bottle. I am convinced there is no one more selfless in the world than these birthmothers who sacrifice so much for their children.
(4) When do you get to take the baby home?
Indiana state law says that the birthmother cannot sign the papers (termination of parental rights) until 48 hours have passed, since she is having a c-section. It would be 24 hours if it were a vaginal birth. And then once she signs the papers it is irrevocable! And the birthfather's rights have already been terminated.
With Tommy, his birthmother signed the papers after 24 hours but she had 30 days to change her mind. It's amazing to me that states vary so much in their adoption laws.
God-willing that all of this happens, we will take the baby "home" to the hotel on Wednesday afternoon. We will stay in Indiana until the ICPC paperwork has cleared and then drive back home to Maryland.
(5) What will the baby look like?
Obviously we have no idea exactly what she will look like, but we do know that she is part Caucasian and part Hispanic.
(6) Will you go back to work?
At this point I'm planning to keep my jobs. I'm so blessed to have two part-time jobs that I enjoy and that give me some flexibility. I will take off some time in the beginning, but I will go back to teaching Monday and Wednesday mornings (from 8:30-10:15am) and I will continue leading the high school youth group at church.
I think that covers most of the questions I've been asked a lot lately. We are trying to focus on the immediate needs - the details around traveling and our time in Indiana. And to make sure that we can survive at home with a new baby. Once we return we can think about how we are going to convert our guest room to also double as a nursery.
I'm praying the Memorare every chance I get. I am so grateful for Our Lady's intercession in my life. I'd love it if anyone wants to join me in praying this prayer - for the health of the baby, for the birthmother, and for a smooth adoption process.

Hello! I'm a lurker, but I wanted to say congratulations! My husband and I are in that 30 day wait in Maryland until the revocation is up. Strangely enough, we get asked the question all the time whether we got to name our daughter. We do get to name her on her final birth certificate; however, currently, she's known as "baby girl" until finalization.
ReplyDeleteI have another one - when is she due? I must have missed that. And #5 - She'll look like Clara! Haha, just kidding!
ReplyDeleteC-section is scheduled for Mon Aug 20!! And we would be so LUCKY if she looked like Clara!! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat update. Questions I wondered too, but didn't want to pry!! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWe actually didn't get to name our daughter. It was very important to her birth mother that she keep the name she was given (but allowed us to call her by her middle name). Our niece is also adopted and her parents were not allowed to name her either, they call her by the nickname of her given first name. So, I have known it to go either way, but mostly the adoptive parents get to name the baby and with a closed adoption, I am guessing ALL adoptive parents get to name the child. We had NO problem keeping our daughter's name.
Thanks Julie - I had no idea! This adoption will be open, like Tommy's, although we haven't worked out the specifics.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to meeting you!!
Hoping and praying that it all goes smoothly!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Gina!!! I haven't checked your blog in forever and for some reason I decided to tonight! How wonderful for you, Troy, and Tommy. August 20th is Jeff's birthday. It is a great day. I will be thinking of you.
ReplyDeletePraying with you!!!
ReplyDelete