Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Things are looking up...

I spoke with the surgical scheduler at my doctor's office again yesterday. Apparently my insurance company said they will have a decision about my doctor in 14 days (whether she's approved by them or not.) So that leaves me with two choices - (1) wait the 14 days, hope she's approved, and schedule my surgery then - most likely for sometime in December or (2) schedule now with another doctor in the practice for Thursday, Dec 4th. (This is the earliest date available for any doc in their office. Apparently Nov 28th was never a possiblity! What!?!)

I was so torn about what to do... Of course my first instinct (driven my impatience) is to schedule now with another doctor just to get this thing settled! I completely trust the other doctors in the practice, but on the other hand I'm guessing there is a reason Dr. B suggested Dr. L for my surgery. She was trained at PPVI with Dr. Hilgers so obviously that gives me a lot of confidence. She specializes in infertility, but the scheduler was telling me that Dr. A has done many, many endo surgeries - and she is the one available for Dec. 4th. I don't know what to think!

The scheduler suggested that since Dr. L is new to the practice, perhaps my doc suggested her for the sake of building up her clientele. Anyways, before we hung up the scheduler said she would speak to both doctors and get their input. She seemed to think I could start the paperwork with Dr. A right now for Dec 4th and if Dr. L is approved in 14 days then switch to her! We'll see how this all goes...

5 comments:

  1. Things are looking GREAT! This is just my point of view and due to my lack of impatience. I would schedule and then pray to God that He will fix it! :) Probably not the best advice but its the truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would wait for dr L.. If dr. L can't do it I'm sure you'll be fine, but if you can have her she's probably the best. Once it's scheduled I think the time will go quicker. It's not easy but maybe try to discern whether God wants you to schedule it sooner or if it's more you not wanting to wait. I'm always trying to figure that out for myself! by the way I'm in your neck of the woods right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the motion--I'd wait for Dr. L. I was amazed when I found out about the difference between Dr. Hilgers' methods for endometriosis surgery and those of many (not all) other doctors. Doing a lot of endo surgeries doesn't necessarily mean doing them well.

    It's so hard to wait! I waited about 6 months for my laparascopy, and I was so discouraged when I found out I'd wait another 6 months for my laparatomy (thank God, the perfect opening in the schedule came up and I only waited 2 months that time). I'll be praying that it works out faster than you expect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps a little bit more information could help you in your decision.

    If I were you, I'd call the office, explain your dilemma, and ask to talk with a nurse who is familiar with both surgeons' approach, like:

    On average, how many stage 4 endo surgeries does each doc do per month? (or, if very few, how many per year?)

    What measures does each doc take to prevent adhesion formation? Are there any differences in technique b/n the two docs? (this is where you might see some differences, since not all docs handle adhesion prevention in the same way, even among those trained by Hilgers).

    Can both docs treat stage 4laparoscopically or will they have to open or schedule another surgery to open?

    Finally, do both docs treat the endo the same way? (Excision versus ablation).

    I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask these questions as a patient.

    If the nurse doesn't know the answers to these questions, I'd write up a quick email and shoot it to both docs themselves.

    I am sure they will be impressed by how informed you are. Certainly, they should be responsive to you, and if not, well, that also helps you make your decision.

    I hope this helps, and remember, don't be afraid to ask the hard questions. Better to pick the best doc up front (even if it requires a little more waiting) than to have to go back into surgery again later.

    Praying for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your comments. I really appreciate all your words of wisdom and advice... I don't know what I would do without you ladies!

    Lifehopes - you ROCK! Thanks for all those helpful questions. I'm going to call right now and ask to speak with a nurse. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete