

One of my amazing co-workers let me borrow her bassinet, bouncy seat, and baby tub. She also brought me beautiful flowers the other day!
Another wonderful friend from choir has made it her personal mission to help me get baby stuff! I'm going over to her house tomorrow to pick-up a few things. Somehow she also found us a glider... and now she's working out how to get it delivered. I'm so overwhelmed!
Another dear friend is having her parents bring down their old stroller, bouncy seat, and boy clothes when they come visit for the weekend.
Everyone has been so amazing. I was at school today for a little bit and was in tears multiple times. Everyone is so excited to share this journey with us. And as you can imagine, everyone is totally shocked at how quickly it's all happening. I left school with a bag full of new baby clothes, an umbrella stroller and duck bath toys.
Many other friends have offered to give/loan us their stuff. I can't even keep track of it all. I received a sweet package in the mail today from a friend and I heard that I'm getting a Moby wrap in the mail tomorrow. Ahhh!! I feel so loved!
Two amazing friends are also freezing some of their breast milk for me. Do any of you adoptive mothers have experience with this? I have called around to a few breastfeeding centers and milk banks, but at this point I haven't been able to speak with anyone about it. I figure that I will speak with the doctor about it at the hospital. I'd love any advice you have.
I texted with the social worker today. Apparently the birthmother is having "stronger" contractions today, but nothing serious yet. JUST WAITING!!
Wonderful! I'm so glad everything is coming along!
ReplyDeleteI've heard of adoptive parents getting breast milk from their friends before. You might want to check La Leche League.
Oh, I'm so excited for you!!!
You have great taste! I have been eyeing out that crib at big blue for a few months and added it to our VERY pre-emptive registry today. :)
ReplyDeleteLooks great G! I'm so impressed with how everything is coming together! And wow, what amazing friends you have! As for the milk- I don't know anything about frozen breast milk, but we've done just fine with formula. The hospital will probably recommend the kind/brand they think is best for the baby. Can't wait for your next update! :)
ReplyDeleteWe used formula too but how kind of your friends!
ReplyDeleteNursery looks fabbo!
I feel like I am waiting on pins and needles waiting to see when your son is born!! I can't even imagine how you must feel at this moment!
ReplyDeleteThe nursery is looking great!
Aren't generous friends so wonderful? We have a room full of stuff that I can't wait to use!
ReplyDeleteWhat are the terms for the signing and the placement? I don't know how it works where you are.
So happy for you. Seeing your pics put a big smile on my face. God is great! What a miracle!
ReplyDeleteI used pumped milk for Gavin, if you have any questions feel free to ask me!
ReplyDeletewow!!! looks great... I love the crib and I love the color on the walls.
ReplyDeleteYou must be absolutely spinning!!!
I think it's FABULOUS that you've been able to get some breast milk. How great....
On pins and needles waiting to hear news!!!
Hi there, lurking from Sew's blog.
ReplyDeleteIn regard to the donated breast milk...
I am a HUGE supporter of breastfeeding and even donating "on the side" but would take some precautions
If you are very, very, very, very comfortable with your friends then by all means use it. Dr.'s may advise you not too. Human breast milk contains bacteria just like any other milk. Giving one woman's breast milk to a child that is not hers can introduce harmful bacteria or viruses. The benefit of the BM may n ot be workth the risk. And I don't mean to imply your gracious friends is icky or anything:) I just mean there are antibodies and normal bacteria that is NOT harmful to her or her baby that could be to your little one.
I have seen at home pasteruizers but they can be pricey. I'm not sure where you live, but your friend might be able to send a blod/milk sample for a checkup although I know time is an issue:)
Best of luck! If I had any milk left, I'd send it too!
http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/2007/01/casual-sharing-of-breastmilk.html
Sounds like everything is coming together!!! Your baby is giving you time to prepare for his arrival! How considerate of him!
ReplyDeleteDid you know that you could breastfeed if you want to? I just found that out, b/c that's been one of the biggest issues with me, things I'd miss out on with adoption. This website has some articles about it - it's really interesting and doesn't require any drugs to stimulate milk production, just the baby!
ReplyDeleteIt would help to leave the link, right?
ReplyDeletehttp://breast-feeding.adoption.com/nursing/breast-milk.html
I am praying for you!!!!!!! So excited for you and your husband!!!
ReplyDeleteG, I also did induced lactation. Like callmemama is talking about. I can talk to you about either donated milk or induced lactation if you are interested. K and Sew have my number if you want to call or just email me.
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you!!! You will be an amazing mom!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures! That room is looking good! It will look even better with a blissful mom and baby in it. :)
ReplyDeleteOMG!! I'm a little late to the party -- haven't been checking. But you can bet I'll be looking at your blog at least once a day now!! What a whirlwind. I don't know anything about freezing and using another mother's breastmilk, but we're using formula with our biological son and he's doing great. Once your bundle arrives, e-mail me with ANY questions about anything. I'm still new at this mom thing, too, but just like we all need support getting through the IF to the baby, you still need support once the baby arrives.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting G! Love how well the room is coming together!
ReplyDeleteFWIW--I had a good friend (who I knew well) donate breastmilk for my youngest son for a few months. It wasn't enough to sustain him entirely (she was BF'ing her own daughter at the time) but we basically just decided to supplement with about one bottle of breastmilk per day for as long as he would tolerate it. He never had any trouble switching from formula to breastmilk, but I imagine that is probably an issue for many babies--especially since breastmilk can change in flavor, depending on what the mom has consumed.
I also can talk to you about adoptive breastfeeding. I did a little of that too...more successfully with my first son than the second. Unfortunately, my boys came home from Guatemala as older infants and sustaining a good latch when they were already accustomed to bottle nip.ples was tough. I used a Lact-Aid nursing supplementer. I can talk with you more about that too if you are interested.
And FWIW...CMM is right! If you are determined to do it and with a little luck, it is possible for an adoptive mom to induce a milk supply...even if you've never been pregnant before. I tried that protocol too, but just wasn't all that committed in the end (given the special circumstances and unknowns involved in our adoptions).
In the end, I was a very happy bottlefeeding momma, but I was glad to have given the donated breastmilk and attempted adoptive BF'ing a chance.
Everything looks great and you have wonderful friends. That's awesome that your friends are giving you breast milk. I can't wait for your next update!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day! Hope you have a wonderful one! I will be praying the rosary for you, all Mom's, and all Mom's To Be (Like you! Congratulations!) and all Mom's today! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteMay God Bless you and your family!
http://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/
Love,
Maria :)
The crib and changing table look great! I love the color you picked :) Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteWe have that same set from big blue. We LOVE it. Helpful hint...too much weight in the drawers can make the bottoms sag, might want to think about gluing them (Gorilla glue works great!) - best to do it now before you get so busy with baby that you dont have time! Wishing you all the best!
ReplyDeletePat, Julie, and Catie Danielson
I hope you've had more news now! I can't wait to hear. What wonderful friends you have! We have the same changing table and love it!
ReplyDelete